.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thessalonica In 51 AD

A reconstruction of the Greek city in its New Testament days.

Project Notes

Disclaimer: This site is the compilation of my research from the year 2000 until now. This topic is my hobby – I’m not a Scholar, but a High School teacher! (View My Profile)

Biblical Thessalonica is buried under modern Thessaloniki, so there isn’t much evidence on which to base reconstruction – or is there? (Bibliography)

I deeply hope real Scholars will find this site and critique it. The scope of my topic is Thessalonica in 51 AD: history, geography, the city plan, local activity, population, demographics, socio-economic aspects & daily life. (Site Map)

Given this scope, I will NOT include any of these popular elements, all of which date from later time-periods: the Roman Forum, the Arch and Palace of Galerius, the Rotunda, the White Tower, the Roman “Theater” (aka “Amphitheater”, aka "Odium"), the post- Constantinian Harbor, all (post-Constantinian) "church-buildings", Mosques, Turkish Baths, and the Byzantine Acropolis-Extension. (Links)

Valid Scholars’ critiques will be posted. Please leave your credentials and contact information. (General Comments)

I hope you enjoy visiting Thessalonica as much as I have!

Sincerely,
Bill Heroman
Arlington, Texas
October, 2005